Wednesday 27 April 2011

Teaching and Learning

Maggie got out of a car which looked as if it had barely survived a destruction derby and breezed into reception.
     “Who the f*** are you?” she asked.
     “I'm Dave, the new temporary teacher,” I explained, “you must be Maggie.”. It is policy for everyone to be known by their first name
     “I'm not coming to your lessons you paedophile c***,” she replied, “I don't like you so f*** off.”
     I looked for support to Maggie's care worker come chauffeur for support, but it wasn't forthcoming. She put an arm around Maggie.
     “We encourage our young people to speak their minds,” she said, “if she doesn't like you it's her right not to come to your lessons.” Turning to Maggie said, “It's only a f***ing man, so you're probably right.”
     Later in the day I found Maggie's care worker embraced in a long affectionate kiss with another female care worker in the school's smoking area. There were students there too.
     Maggie spent most of the day at school smoking, eating, cuddling other students and care workers and swearing at anyone who suggested that she attended a lesson. I asked a few times.
     “I know my f***ing rights,” she shouted, “so leave me alone. I don't have to go with f***ing paedoes.” Her care worker nodded approvingly.
     The school had a points system. Up to ten points for a lesson and ten for each break and lunchtime. Students have to get thirty points in a day to earn £2. So long as they don't misbehave during lunchtime or either break then their £2 is secure without the need to attend a lesson.
     At the end of the afternoon break, Maggie declared, “I'm p***ed off, I want to go for a burger. Her carer immediately signed out and Maggie was off, another day's education under her belt.
     When Maggie had left, the School Manager came over to "put you in the picture." He explained that Maggie was due in court the following day for sentencing.
     Maggie had fallen out with another student, Jodie, over some name calling. Bent on revenge, she had called on the assistance of her current boyfriend. They stole a car and went round to Jodie's care home. Having beaten and kicked her senseless. they bundled her into the boot of the car and drove down to the harbour. It was Jodie's good fortune that one of the lifeboat crew 'phoned the police to report  that someone was carrying a body on the harbour wall. A few minutes later and Jodie would have been floating in the harbour.
     The court was extremely understanding. Taking account of Maggie's horrific background and ignoring her string of previous convictions, she was given a probation order.
      "You have to understand what these kids have been through," said the School Manager. I reflected that my childhood would more than compare, but that I'd never once tried to harm anyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment