Thursday 9 February 2012

Telling Tales

Sometimes teachers can get uptight about things that are not worth the effort of being angry about.
     I was covering year four for the day and in the afternoon the year 4 co-ordinator said, "can you tell them a traditional tale and have them make illustrations? There are plenty of stories in the library."
     I have a head full of traditional tales so it was a matter of deciding which to tell. At the end of lunchtime, the teacher came to me and bellowed, "you didn't go to the library, how can you tell a story?"
     "I remember them," I told her.
     "How on earth can you tell a traditional tale properly without the book?" she demanded.
     "I just can," I said, but she thrust a book into my hand anyway.
     "Read this," she ordered and stomped off.
     So I told the story. I didn't read it because reading from a book destroys the storytelling experience. Every time you tell a story it is a little different. It's a different audience and experience tells you when to ask them questions like, "What do you think they did then?" You learn when to characterise, when to add a little banter and when to draw on the kids for the animal noises.
     Do they teach storytelling? It's such a vital skill. If you were to pull out a book or notes at the storytelling circle they would show you the door. School is no different.  

No comments:

Post a Comment