Thursday 2 February 2012

Racist Tie





For my supply teaching I wear a smart shirt, trousers and
shoes, sometimes a jumper and always a tie. Most of my ties are
what you might call entertaining, with a lot having animal
images like giraffes, elephants, hippos, a tiger, Noah's ark and
this one, sheep. I rarely wear a tie other than for work so
wearing silly ones is a little statement.
 I was working with a year 9 class covering a science lesson
when one lad piped up, "your tie is racist, sir."
  I told him not to be so silly, the lesson passed quietly enough
and the comment seemed to be forgotten.
  At break I was called into the headteacher's office. "I'm sorry, he said, but I have to investigate a racist incident."
   I said that I was not aware of any such incident, but he pointed and said, "there have been complaints about your racist tie."
   It has sheep on it," I replied.
   But one of them is black," he said, observantly.
   I tried to point out that it was a bit of fun, but he would have none of it. "a racist incident is any incident which is perceived to be racist by the victim or any other person," he declared.
   Who is the victim?" I asked.
   "Fortunately, there are no victims," he said, "or it would be a police matter, but several of our students were very distressed by it."
  "Can you explain," I asked, "how a tie with cartoon sheep on it could possibly distress anyone."
  Quick as a flash he had the answer. "It's racist graffiti, wearing racist badges or insignia and other provocative behaviour."
  No amount of protest on my part could persuade the man that it was a novelty tie and nothing more. He was working by the book.
  Several students had already provided statements and I was required to prepare one too. I simply wrote the statement, "I came to school today wearing a novelty tie containing cartoon pictures of sheep," which I then signed and dated.
  The headteacher wanted more detail but I refused to add any more. He was angry about my "blase attitude." I reluctantly agreed to be photographed wearing the tie.
  The headteacher had to write a statement of his own, inform the parents of the distressed students about his actions, submit a report to the Local Authority and then raise the matter at the next Governors meeting.
  Dealing with me was easy. Having signed my statement I was sent home and my agency informed of my racist behaviour.
  As far as I am concerned, the colour of sheep is of little consequence. I cannot imagine that they care what colour they are and they probably taste the same with mint sauce. I don't know how many hours were wasted on this racist incident, but it does a disservice to all the victims of real incidents to be lumped together with something so trivial.






1 comment:

  1. Grounds for accusations of racism can be even more bizarre than wearing a tie depicting sheep, as I discovered a while ago:I asked a child not to listen to music ( wearing headphones in the lesson) and subsequently faced a formal complaint of racism on the grounds that I had picked on him - even though no other individual was wearing headphones in the lesson.
    This was no trivial fleeting incident: a formal complaint process was launched and I was formally interviewed. Only several months later was I exonerated.

    ReplyDelete