Friday 3 February 2012

Olympic excuses

You won't find Tommy Atkins as one of the boxers in the British Olympic team. A few years ago he had the makings of a contender, but he just didn't have the attitude or discipline to keep at it.
     I met Tommy when he was in year 10. He was regarded as able but lazy. He was also a bully.
     I was covering a rather dull English lesson when a fight broke out. Tommy was laying into two students at once and they were making a poor effort at defending themselves. Unwisely, I stepped between the fighters and Tommy punched me very hard in the chest.
     The TA removed Tommy and I spoke to the other two contestants. They insisted that nothing would happen if they complained, but both provided statements. I also wrote a statement and they were sent to the Head of Year.
     At break, I was surprised to see Tommy Atkins swaggering around the playground. He made a rude remark as he passed me.
     I sought out the Head of Year and asked what was happening.
     “Nothing,” he told me.
     “He assaulted me and two students,” I replied, “you can't just let that pass.”
     “Look here,” said the Head of Year, “Tommy Atkins is a talented boxer and is predicted for a place in the British Olympic Team.”
     “But he also assaulted a teacher and two students,” I protested.
     “Do you really think we're going to let a Supply Teacher stand in the way of one of our students being in the Olympics?” he responded and at that walked off.
     I spoke later to the two students who, quite correctly, told me, “we told you so.”

No comments:

Post a Comment