Friday 6 April 2012

Lapped Zippers - The Movie

I was doing some sewing and needed a quick revision on a technique so I tried YouTube. There were a number of demonstrations but one thing I noticed very quickly was a difference in style. Almost invariably the young attractive women seemed to think they were making Lapped Zippers - The Movie. The demonstration was all about them smiling, talking, posing and hardly any care in demonstrating the techniques. Some even missed out essential steps, presumably assuming that you could figure it out for yourself.
    The more mature women and the men addressed the task. You saw their faces at the start and from then on the focus was on the project explained in a careful step by step manner with close up shots where they were needed and a detailed explanation of why we were doing each step.
    Thanks to someone sharing their expertise my IKEA rocking chair is now resplendent with superb box cushions which set it off nicely.
    This got me thinking about my Worst Worksheet Ever and the modern approach to teaching which requires that for the students to own what they are doing, they have to figure it out for themselves. My worksheet was a step by step explanation of how to achieve an outcome. This is forbidden in the modern classroom. Auto-didacticism or some such idea prevails. It's just as well really because in a subject like ICT a lot of the teachers haven't worked it out for themselves yet.
    A lot of real teaching is about sharing expertise. If it is practical or something like ICT, it is essential that there is an outcome. The YouTube demos were using random bits of cloth, but there was a valid assumption that you wanted to know the techniques for a complete project. Once you have mastered it for one project you can move on and use it again and again.
    I can imagine our hunter gatherer ancestors using modern techniques.
    Uggess:  "Little Uggy is a long time catching those fish for dinner."
    Ugg:  "I just don't understand the boy. I told him where the river is and gave him some bits of wood and twine to make a fishing rod. He should have figured it out by now."
    Uggess:  "I know dear, it's not your fault, you did everything asked of you by the Oftribe inspectors."
    Ugg:  "I hope he's home soon, I'm getting hungry."
    Uggess:  "Those river crocodiles look really well fed. Do you think you could catch one so that I can make myself a new bag."
    Ugg:  "Yes dear, I'll figure it out tomorrow."  
    Uggess: (aside)  "Husbands come and husbands go..."

No comments:

Post a Comment